Nursery Preview

Baby boy's room has been such a fun project.  Most of our around the house projects require stripping, sanding, and painting. This one though has been straight up decor with a few crafts thrown in. Such a nice change of pace for sure. 

We stuck with the navy blue color.  This particular color is called the "writer's ink cup". When the sun shines in it does have a more teal appeal, but overall I feel it definitely has a navy hue. 

                
The crib is one of my favorite pieces in our house. It is a Jenny Lind. We found ours on craigslist for $100. However, you can find the same one here.  I also love the teddy bear.  It was Brian's when he was a little boy and I can't wait to see Brady holding it!



I have been playing with the prints collage above the crib for a while, but I am finally happy with the results.  All of the prints, except the compass print, were free printables via pinterest.  I purchased the compass print from etsy. You can view that print along with some other great pieces at MKKMDesigns. She has some awesome travel prints and is super quick with responses. As for the frames, most of them were purchased at goodwill.  The bottom wood frame, along with the gray driftwood on the top left were found at TJMaxx. 


Originally I planned to purchase some spice racks or this awesome Pottery Barn shelf for Brady's books. However, I am big fan of up-cycling decor.  So when I remembered having these white shelves (all handy-me downs from mom) I thought why not put them to good use! The same went for the shelf with the baskets and hooks.  I decided to hang it lower so that when Brady is more mobile he can hang his coats all by himself. (Wishful thinking, I know.)  The boat is another sentimental piece from Brian's childhood. I loved the contrast of the dark wood and white paint. As for the toy box, that was a treasure find at a yard sale years ago.  $5 dollars and two samples of yellow/green paint later Brady had a fun colored piece that will store all of his fun things. I am still debating on whether to stencil his name or leave it plain.


On the opposite side of the room is Brady's dresser/changing table.  We found a gorgeous piece on craigslist for $70.00.  We debated on painting it white or leaving it the beautiful cherry color.  The natural wood won.  I was somewhat skeptical but once we took off the plain knobs and replaced them with the navy and white compass pieces (Hobby Lobby) I fell in love. I am still working on decorating the pedestal side.   I have found a really cool vintage brass tray that will hold some cool glass jars. More pics to come on that later. Also, Brian is in the process of building a wood beam that will hang above the dresser.  I got the idea from my inspiration picture

Below are some cool pieces that I have been collected to place on the beam.  The baseball canvas was a gift from Brian's brother and sister-in law.  I purchased the bubble gum machine at a consignment sale.  The lantern was a $12 score at local thrift shop.  The anthropology-inspired 'B' and colored mason jar are DIY projects I completed over the snow days. I will share tutorials in a later post. 





















My latest project was the DIY no-sew banner that will hang below the beam, above the changing table.  I absolutely love all of the colors and fabrics.  Full tutorial to come.


We are still on the hunt for the perfect glider, along with a few odds and ends we need to finish up.  All in all I feel that we have accomplished a ton and I am loving the overall look so far.  I can't wait to spend time playing games, reading books, and caring for our precious baby boy in this space. 





No comments