Earning Our Wings

I am just melting into the sofa after one action packed weekend. Brady and I ventured to Houston, Texas for the long holiday and I couldn't have asked for a better trip there. Keyword: there. 

I was a nanny for about two years before snagging a job teaching. Ryan and Andrew taught me more about myself than I ever imagined possible. I am the mom, teacher, and wife I am today because of them and their parents. Needless to say, I make it a priority to go visit them each year because I know I will learn something new and the memories we make are priceless. 


This year was extra special because Brady got to go. Not only was it his first time in Texas, but it was his first plane ride. The trip there was flawless. We got through security without any issues. Take-off and landing were textbook and he naturally made tons of friends along the way. He spent most of the flight itself sleeping in my arms, something I soaked up because I know those cuddles are going to be gone before I know it. 




Houston was an absolute treat. Ryan and Andrew loved on that little boy like there was no tomorrow. Each morning Ryan changed his diaper, made him a bottle, and made me a cup of caramel coffee. Talk about five star service! 




I can't even describe the joy that these three bring into my life. Watching them grow has been a privilege that I will never take for granted. I can only pray that God continues to grow my heart in preparation to watch what amazing things these three do in life.  

As it was time to leave I was so sad, but I looking forward to seeing Brian. Brady learned to say 'da-da' over the weekend. Despite the fact that Andrew insisted he was Brady's daddy, I knew his real dad was missing us just as much as we were missing him. 

We arrived to the Houston airport an hour early and arrived at our departure gate in record time, fifteen minutes. Shortly after arriving we learned that our flight was going to be delayed a little over an hour. No big deal. I had enough for two bottles and could always nurse if it came to that. Though it seemed like forever we eventually boarded and Brady and I found a spot in the very back next to the attendant station. (*I definitely suggest Southwest. They were seriously the most accommodating airline I have ever been on.)

We made friends with an awesome flight attendant who was 8 weeks pregnant. She and I talked pregnancy and motherhood most of the flight and she was a huge help with Brady. She told me that I made motherhood look so easy and she hoped that she would be as great as I was. I'll admit my mom head blew up just a bit. Oh, but I was about to be brought down real fast..

As we landed the pilot said he would love to take his photo with Brady. I couldn't wait! So I began to gather our things when all of sudden I placed my hand on Brady's bottom. He was completely soaked and I quickly realized from the scent that it wasn't just pee. It was his first true blow out. Seriously?! What. The. Hell. It was then I realized I had no more clean diapers and no change of clothes. I am always prepared. I am always organized. How did this happen? In a moment of despair I did all I could think of. I cleaned him up, threw his pants in a plastic bag and made a makeshift diaper out of a burp cloth. The flight attendant that once thought I was a mom goddess looked a little.... okay, a lot less confident in my parenting abilities. 

I laughed it off and assured her that this would never happen to her. (Sometimes you just need to lie to those first time moms to put their their hearts and minds to ease.) In the midst of all this I decided I HAD TO HAVE his picture taken with the pilot. The captain looked strangely at Brady's bare legs and crazy cloth diaper. All I could think to say was, "Ummm, shit happens."  

No comments